I ended up painting the baggage area myself with a rattle can. I had been told by other builders that painting down in the fuselage was much like trying to paint the inside of a 55-gallon drum. I used a Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint. It's a little tough to see in the photo, but I painted the bottom part of the baggage area--the part that will be under the baggage floor--first to test my abilities. Satisfied with the results, I taped off the bottom part and sprayed the top part. Overall, I'm happy with the results. I chose white for the sole reason of reflectivity. Seems like baggage areas are always deep, dark places.

The fuselage had to be stripped in preparation for paint. Actually, to be fair, only the bottom of the fuselage had to be stripped. The prior owner/final builder painted the underside of everything a baby blue metallic. As you can see in the picture, the underlying primer was the old-fashioned maroon primer. That stuff sticks like crazy! It took several applications of aircraft stripper to break the stuff loose.

The fuselage is loaded up and on its way to the paint shop for final preparation and painting. You can just barely see it in the picture, but I left the fuselage attached to the engine mount stand. Doing it this way, I was able to load and unload the fuselage completely by myself. The paint shop is about 20 minutes from the airport. It rained VERY hard and actually hailed some pea-sized hail on the way to the shop. Yikes!

Here's the fuselage rolled into the paint booth. Now the taping and final prep work can begin.

The fuselage cockpit area completely cleaned and prepped for paint. This was a major pain in the tookus. The original builder/owner did a less than fantastic rattle can job on the interior. It took me a ton of time to strip this to bare metal. The paint shop had some really cool solvent that we sprayed on everything just before the sealer/primer step. The solvent lightly etched the metal so that the sealer/primer would stick well. The painter said they did tests with bare metal... half was prepped the old fashioned way with Scotch Brite pads and/or sandpaper and the other was shiny new metal with only the solvent sprayed on. The side with the solvent only stuck every bit as well as the scuffed side. I scuffed everything anyway, but it's nice to know the tough spots had the solvent, too.

Everything is masked off and ready to roll.