I messed up when I fabricated the gear leg fairings. I forgot to include some provision for brake lines running inside the fairing. To solve the problem after the fact, I used a 12" long drill bit to punch my way through the core.

A close-up of the hole and the drill bit used to make the hole. It actually looks pretty clean. Doesn't really matter though, because it'll be covered up by the wheel pant fairing when I install the wheel pants.

A friend came by my hangar one day and shamed me into wanting real gear leg fairings. I had previously decided they weren't worth the effort because only about 12" worth of gear leg would be showing once the top and bottom intersection fairings were fabricated and installed.

My friend said, "Oh, I thought you were trying to build a _fast_ Midget Mustang." That was all it took!

The first thing I did was draw the cross-section of my gear leg on poster paper. After that I used a combination of a French curve and a bendable ruler to create a reasonable-looking airfoil shape. There was no science involved...

From the drawing, I fabricated this aluminum template. Notice that it's being held together by 2 clecoes at this point. I wanted to be able to swing it open at either end when I started shaping the foam.

I found some foam at the local craft store and hot-glued it to the gear leg. The leading edge was a round foam rod sliced in two. I thought I was pretty resourceful.

Learn from my mistakes, folks. This stuff doesn't sand well _at all_. I ended up punting on this foam completely.

Here's the foam I should have used in the first place. Unfortunately, it wasn't readily available to me in a round rod format so I started with a big block of foam and sanded from there.

It didn't take long at all and I had my desired airfoil shape. A little work with the shop vac and I was ready to start glassing it up.