Of course I covered the clay with PVA mold release and then applied 4 layers of 6oz. fiberglass cloth. I'm always amazed at how well this weight of cloth lays down nicely around some pretty tight corners. Of course I tried to round out all the corners, but there were still some pretty pointy edges.

I should note that I wasn't trying to cover the bottom part of the intake at this point. I knew at the outset that this would be a multi-part, multi-day lay-up process.

I've applied cloth to both sides of the intake/plenum. I put peel-ply cloth on the [aircraft] right side. After seeing how poorly the peel-ply cloth goes around compound curves, I decided it wasn't worth the effort on the left side--so it's just raw fiberglass cloth showing.

Here's the [more] ugly underside of the left-side intake. I trimmed back the excess cloth and applied more clay and PVA mold release in preparation for another lay-up session.

Both sides are ready for the second lay-up session. You can see that the clay is shiny from the PVA mold release. It's important to cut the fiberglass cloth and have it ready in the proper quantity before you start slinging resin around.

Once the second lay-up had cured, it was time to start digging the foam and clay out. One of my favorite tools for this is my 1-1/2" putty knife. Another handy tool not shown in this picture is a sculpter's tool. It's tapered and about 1/3 the overall size of the putty knife. It works well to get the glass/resin to release from the mold.

I occasionally get aggressive (and creative) in my efforts to get pieces out of the mold... or, in this case, to get the mold out of the pieces!