A guy down in the Denver area is using fiberglass baffles on his O-200-powered Vari-Ez. He says that he just used regular old cloth and West Systems Epoxy and that the baffles are holding up just fine. I decided to give it a whirl. I didn't want to use my real (brand new ECI) cylinders for the layups, so I mounted a couple of my old cylinder assemblies to a spare piece of particle board.

As you can see, I covered the cylinders with a combination of aluminum tape and masking paper. The greenish tint is PVA mold release.

I laid up a few different sections around the cylinder barrels and around the outward fins. I'm not sure exactly how all of this will come together at this point, but I feel like I need to force the air from top to bottom through the fins rather than allowing the air to just rush by the fins.

After trimming the rings that go around the fins, I decided I'd try joining the two pieces with a flange that basically runs parallel with the floor when mounted on the engine.

Once the 2 pieces were joined, I realized I needed a bigger flange that would span the gap between the cylinders and the lower cowling intake. I just used a scrap sheet of aluminum as the form.

This is sort of the same concept applied toward the aft baffles. Now that I've progressed beyond this, I'm not sure that this was the best sequence of events. I'm probably going to end up cutting most of this flange off and glassing the rear baffles to exactly match the plenum I've since created.

Here are the 2 pieces in a rough test-fit on my real cylinders.