Well, I guess I don't have any intermediate photos between the green 3M stuff and a bunch of sanding! I used an 18" long block sander to even up the edge of the main cowling and the cowl cheeks. I intentionally allowed some flox/resin mixture to seep onto the metal flanges so I'd have an idea of how much build-up they'd need.

I then made up a fairly thick mixture (peanut butter consistency) of flox and resin and buttered up the flanges. I used clear packing tape on the inside of the main cowling where it mates with these flanges. I applied the clear packing tape and then waxed it with mold release. I clamped the whole thing in place and waited for a day while everything cured. The first round of flox/resin left a few voids so I did it again. The second application produced pretty good results requiring minimal sanding and some fine filler.

Once satisfied that things were fitting fairly well, I marked the location for the camlocks and started drilling and clecoing.

I had a long layover in Tucson a few weeks ago so the captain and I rented a car and visited the Pima Air Museum. I found this P51 model all alone, dusty and neglected sitting on top of a trophy case in a corner of one of the exhibit hangars. I kinda like the paint job!

I should probably fabricate some of them there drop tanks for sake of authenticity, right?!?

Once everything was pretty much fitting perfectly, I needed to re-define a nice seam. I re-filled the existing seam which had become nicked up with all the sanding and then layed out the location of a new seam using 3M fine line vinyl tape. I then used a Dremel tool with a cut-off disk to re-scribe the seam.

This is the current status of the cheek as it stands today. I applied a light skim coat of very fine Evercoat filler. most of it gets sanded off, with 160 grit sandpaper, but it does a good job of filling the scratch marks from the 60 and 80 grit sandpaper I used to shape the piece. After most of the light blue stuff is sanded off, the next step will be to prime the pieces with some Evercoat Uro-Fil primer.

Since it's more efficient to have something else to work on while waiting for fillers to cure enough to sand, I decided to dive into the oil servicing door on the cowling. After looking at a few RV's, I decided on a 6 x 6 oil door. I may have been able to make it slightly smaller, but I hate having to stand on my head and hold my tongue just right for such common tasks as checking the oil level so I just went with a slightly oversized door.

In this picture, I've drawn the lines and cut the door out as far as I dare with a Dremel Tool equipped with a cut-off wheel. The last little bit of each corner was finished with the very careful use of a hacksaw blade.