Here are the cowl cheeks with the new flanges riveted in place. I've primed the flanges before riveting. I haven't decided how much trouble I'll go into in terms of painting and/or finishing the inside of these cheeks because they should never be seen by anyone.

I've clecoed everything in place in this picture. You can see where the main cowling doesn't lay down flat against the flange on the cheek. It's also easy enough to imagine how simply fitting the main cowling to the cheek would have been a pretty simple maneuver... simple, that is, if I had thought of it before installing the flanges and camlock fasteners on the main cowling! Duh.

To get the process started, I used flox and epoxy resin to build up the cowl cheek to match the cowling. Some of the resin/flox mixture oozed out onto the aluminum flange. This was fine with me because that would give me an estimate as to how much the flange would need to be built up.

Stay with me here. It'll all make more sense in the next few pictures...

The rear tip of the left cheek just wouldn't lay down against the fuselage for me--so I cut it off! I used clay to build up the shape I wanted and then covered it with PVA mold release.

Here's the rear tip with a few layers of glass and a layer of peel-ply. It'll still need a little filler and some sanding and trimming, but the new tip will be good as new and will exactly match the contours of the fuselage.

I applied 2 layers of flox and epoxy mixture. I shape-sanded after each application. The stuff you see in this picture is a little easier to work with than the flox/epoxy mixture. This is 3M Short-Strand fiberglass filler. It's sort of like a heavy duty Bondo. There will be additional layers of finer filler material over the 3M stuff, the 3M gives a little more of a refined surface than the flox/epoxy mixture.