I had to start somewhere, I guess. Here, I've started the hocky-pucky process of trying to make the cowling fit all the critical places. I'm using the 3M short strand fiberglass filler. This stuff is very strong. I'm still planning to glass over the filler before final sanding, priming and top-coat paint.

There were a few places along the sides of the cowl where there was a little more gap than I would like between the top cowling and the bottom cowling. I temporarily attached this piece of aluminum which allowed me to build up the edge with filler. Again, the filler will be covered with a thin layer of fiberglass cloth to keep it from chipping off.

The darker color tapering from thin to thicker towards the aft is where I built up the edge with filler. It's been covered with a couple of light layers of 2oz. fiberglass cloth. I've also covered the factory heads of the flush rivets that I used to secure the aluminum flange to the lower cowling. I've heard that they are less likely to work loose if they're covered with a layer of glass. The 2oz. cloth is very, very lightweight. It's almost like working with tissue paper when you wet it out with resin.

After sanding the hocky pucky [a technical term] I glassed over the filler using the 2oz. cloth. I'm hoping this will prevent the filler from chipping off in regular use. My fiberglass friends aren't making any promises, but they think it'll definitely improve my odds.

Since I effectively filled and glassed over the original break between the cowling halves, I'll have to cut a new seam. I used 3M vinyl tape to mark where I'd like the seam. I used a combination of a hacksaw blade and a Dremel Took cutoff wheel to make the seam. It's possible to do a neat job, but you have to go slow, be patient and be prepared to do it all over if you're not satisfied with the results.

I've cut the seam on the left hand side of the cowling.