The original canopy had no provision for opening or closing the canopy latches from outside the airplane. I fabricated these tabs from thick stock. You can see that one of the tabs is round at the end and the other is concave--sort of a mirror image of the other tab. My plan is that the tabs will swing inward and nest into each other. I'll show a picture of this concept later.

I decided to try to fabricate some sort of lock for the canopy latch. I drew this pattern to help establish the shape of the canopy lock. Keep reading--it makes more sense as we go along.

Imagine the two tabs under this piece of heavy aluminum. I pre-drilled some #40 holes. I used these to drill the tabs.

I added a spacer in the middle of the lock. The plan is that two thick pieces will sandwich the open/close tabs. This center section will just help to stabilize the lock. Of note in this picture is that I decided to use a double-flush riveting technique. Basically, I countersunk the shop-side of the rivet. This allows both sides to wind up with flush surfaces. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the finished piece.

This is basically the finished product. I drilled and tapped the top piece for 6-32 screws. I then drilled the bottom piece oversized so that the 6-32's just slide through the bottom piece. The big hole in the center is drilled through all 3 pieces. I'm planning to use a small padlock through this whole to hold the whole contraption together. I had an old padlock in my junk drawer of my toolbox. Unfortunately, I can't find the key, but it looks like the shaft will be the perfect length.

Another angle of the lock contraption. I don't really anticipate using it very often, but I figure it will keep honest people honest at fly-ins overnights when I have to leave the plane unattended in a public hangar.